|The cromlech at Gaerllywyd|
|Although broken and displaced the 12ft capstone is still impressive|
|How the cromlech might have looked before the|
capstone was displaced - this one is in
|Drawing by Martin Powell|
It is not yet certain why such importance was attached to sunrise and sunset horizon points. It may well be that this race of people, who we know tilled the ground as well as tended their flocks, would require advice as to the times of sowing and cropping, and that this advice could be given by those knowledgeable ones who could 'read the signs'."
|Ariel photo of the cromlech|
Still in use today, the tiny chapel with its small graveyard at Gaerllywd, was established as a Calvinist Methodist Chapel in 1842. From 1851 it was also used as a school. It transferred to the Prebyterians before eventually being taken over by the Baptists.
|Gaerllywd Chapel and adjoining cottages|
|Looking towards Gaerllywd from the lane to Devauden|
|View from the ridge at Gaerllywd|
|Curious cattle at Gaerllwyd|
The Pleasant Land of Gwent - Fred J. Hando 1944
Coflein - The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Shirenewton Local History Society